Livability.com has named Fayetteville the No. 1 city in the country for military veterans to live.
"Given the fact that there is a very strong mutual respect between the community and the military in Fayetteville, this isn't a surprise," said Doug Peters, President and CEO of the Fayetteville-Cumberland County Chamber of Commerce. "Certainly the community continues to thrive because of the relationship that exists. And this ranking helps confirm that our city has truly embraced our strong military connections."
According to Livability.com, the cities "were chosen based on quality-of-life attributes that appeal to veterans such as moderate climate, low cost of living and unemployment rate, as well as availability of outdoor recreational opportunities and cultural amenities. Additional consideration was given to cities with proximity to military installations and VA hospitals."
Coming on the heels of winning the 2011 All-America City honor, Fayetteville has embraced all of the factors that went in to this recognition.
“We know it’s important for veterans and their families to have access to quality medical care and social services,” says John Hood, Livability.com spokesman, “so we chose cities with excellent health-care systems and VA hospitals. The cities on this list also tend to be more diverse, have excellent school systems and higher education options and greater opportunities for post-military employment.”
Hood says Livability.com editors also looked at cities close to military bases, which give veterans access to other resources such as free legal advice and counseling, discounted food and household goods at the base commissary, and equipment rentals.
“One thing all 10 cities have in common is their inclusive nature and a proven history of community support for military families,” Hood says.
In recognizing Fayetteville, Liveability.com said the city "has a military history that goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War. Fayetteville is considered America’s First Military Sanctuary Community because of the strong support the city offers servicemen and their families. Businesses across the city offer deep discounts to current and former members of the military. Veterans have many options for services through Fort Bragg, nearby Pope Air Force Base and Camp Lejeune. A moderate climate with all four seasons, diverse population, quick access to both beaches and mountains, and a multitude of recreational opportunities help make Fayetteville a top choice for veterans and retirees."
Top 10 Cities for Veterans
1. Fayetteville, NC
2. Colorado Springs, CO
3. San Angelo, TX
4. Carlisle, PA
5. Madison, WI
6. Topeka, KS
7. Syracuse, NY
8. Kenner, LA
9. Tuscon, AZ
The Impact of Supporting Local
By choosing to patronize locally owned establishments, you make a positive impact on our community in many ways. Here are just 5 of them:
1. Environment - By buying things made closer to home, you’re cutting down on fossil fuel use, reducing your carbon impact and saving money.
2. Local Economy - Local businesses buy more often from other local businesses, so the money you spend is retained in the community in a more concentrated fashion.
3. Local Flavor - The experience at a local establishment is completely unique – providing the local flavor of the area
4. Community Care - Local entrepreneurs are more connected to our community, because they live here, too. They are more likely than their non-local businesses to get involved in community efforts.
5. Voicing Your Opinion - You are voting with your dollar to say, “Hey, I like this place and the neighborhood wouldn’t be the same without it.”